I’ve been dying to try out this Baba-Ghanoush recipe from paleolifestyle.com, which is where I get a lot of my recipes. BG is an arabic dip similar to hummus.
I didn’t have eggplants last time I wanted to make it, so I made it using cucumbers instead. It was an excellent dip, very good for a veggie tray or a spread on a sandwich.
- 2 large eggplants;
- 2 garlic cloves, minced;
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice;
- 2 tbsp tahini (optional);
- 3 tsp extra virgin olive oil;
- 1 tsp cumin (optional);
- Salt and pepper to taste;
- Fresh parsley, optional, for garnishing.
- To roast the eggplants, either use your grill, the open flame of a gas stove or your oven. If using an open flame, keep the eggplant near the flame and turn them often to darken the skin evenly. If using your stove, prick the skin with a fork and roast for about 35 minutes in a 400 F oven.
- Put the roasted eggplants in a bowl of cold water, wait a bit and then peel off the skin.
- Place the roasted eggplant, garlic, lemon juice, tahini, olive oil, cumin in a blender and blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cool in the refrigerator and serve with extra olive oil on top and fresh parsley.